Ricky Martin to Play Hollywood Bowl This Week Despite Allegations
Earlier this month, Ricky Martin was hit with a restraining order by a man who was later revealed to be his nephew. Despite the controversy surrounding the Puerto Rican singer, he’s scheduled to perform at Hollywood Bowl for the first time, alongside the Los Angeles Philharmonic on Friday, July 22, and Saturday, July 23.
Dennis Yadiel Sánchez Martin, Ricky’s nephew, is accusing the singer of an incestuous relationship that ended after seven months. At which point, Dennis says Martin began stalking him. Martin has vehemently denied the accusations.
Martin is scheduled to appear in court the night before his first show at the Hollywood Bowl, according to TMZ. The “Living La Vida Loca” singer’s attorney, Marty Singer, considered a Hollywood powerhouse, said the claims against Martin are “not only untrue [they’re] disgusting. Singer added, “We all hope that this man gets the help he so urgently needs. But, most of all, we look forward to this awful case being dismissed as soon as a judge gets to look at the facts.”
Martin addressed the controversy via a public statement on Twitter, in both English and Spanish, on July 3. He called the claims outlined in the restraining order “completely false allegations” and declared to “respond through the judicial process with the facts and the dignity that characterize me.”
Martin has made no additional comments on his social media outlets since. He’s been using his accounts to promote the music video for “Acido Sabor,” a song from his new EP Play, which was released earlier this month.
This isn’t the only legal battle Martin is wagering. In late June, Rebecca Drucker, his former manager, filed a lawsuit against him, claiming that he owed her $3 million in unpaid commissions.