Is Mario Lopez Bringing Menudo Back? — Here’s What We Know About the Global Search
It has been 12 years since the last version of the boy band Menudo called it quits and 45 years since the original group was formed in Puerto Rico.
Now, actor and TV host Mario Lopez (Saved by the Bell) is partnering with Menudo Productions to go on a global search for new band members to revive the group once again. According to Deadline, Menudo: A New Beginning is a project looking for talent between the ages of 12 and 16 to audition online and in-person for a spot in the group.
“Like so many people across the globe, I grew up as a huge Menudo fan,” Lopez said in a statement. “I am so excited and honored to be part of bringing this iconic Latin boy band back to the world!”
Lopez will announce the start of online auditions in the next couple of weeks, and hopefuls will be able to upload their videos to an exclusive app. Live auditions will begin on September 17, 2022, in San Juan, PR.
Unlike the 2007 MTV reality series Making Menudo, which also sought to revive the group, Menudo: A New Beginning will not be airing on a TV network. Instead, Lopez will help promote weekly videos of the contestants on “ streaming platforms,” so fans can stay up to date with the latest news.
“By utilizing social media, the Metaverse, and A.I., Menudo will connect with fans in ways unimaginable just a decade ago,” Menudo Productions CEO Paul Tarnopol said in a statement. “More importantly, our management team is committed to the safety, well-being, and financial security of each-and-every member of Menudo. This is what we mean by ‘A New Beginning.’”
Last month, a four-part docuseries, Menudo: Forever Young, debuted on HBO Max and covers the darker side of the group, which included sex crime allegations against founder Edgardo Díaz.